Thursday, December 20, 2007

Yiddish #5

(To start from the beginning, see Yiddish #1)

OK, so far I have been focusing on grammar, i.e. conjugation and the like. So I figured, for those of you who really just want to chat with your זײדע zeyde and באָבע bobe, I'd just do basic conversation phrases, and perhaps build off of that somehow.
So when you meet somebody, you want to introduce yourself, right? In English, you say "my name is," but in Yiddish, we use the verb הײסן heysn, which in Spanish is llamarse and in French is s'appeler, but which doesn't have a straight translation in English, but think along the lines of "to be called." So you conjugate it based on the person (to conjugate a regular verb in the present tense, see this post):
.איך הײס אַרעלע/Ikh heys Arele./My name is Arele.
?װי הײסט ער/Vi heyst er?/What's his name (literally, how is he called)?

Of course, I conveniently forgot to tell you how to say "hello," because I've lost all social contact this year because of college apps and stuff. Anyhow, when you greet someone, you say שלום עליכם sholem aleykhem. That means "peace be unto you." It is the same in Hebrew, and in Arabic, it is quite similar: السلام عليكم as-salāmu ’alaykum. When you respond, you just flip the words around and get עליכם שלום aleykhem sholem.

More to come!

No comments: